Briefly, as the name implies, Understanding Comic: The Invisible Art looks at comics as art. Appropriately, the information is presented in the form of a comic, with the author speaking to us from inside comic book panels. The author begins by trying to define what a comic is and looking at them from a historical standpoint, starting with “comics” from ancient cultures. The author goes on to discuss such topics as:
- How people and their surrounds are represented,
- The relationship of different panels to one another within a particular comic,
- How time and space are treated within a comic,
- How visuals are used to express an invisible world,
- The relationship of words to pictures in a comic,
- The artist’s purpose and path in creating comics.