Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Dog On It

One of my New Year’s resolutions for this year was to read 52 novels. This included reading the work of at least one novelist for each letter of the alphabet. Recently I had made my way to the Q’s and was having problems. No author whose last name began with Q made my chimes sound. Finally, I put Q into the library search engine, which would have been a disaster for any other letter of the alphabet, and out popped Spencer Quinn’s name. I went a bit over the river and through the woods to find the book, which evidently doesn’t spend much time sitting on the shelves, but I am so glad that I did.

Dog On It is a detective novel written from the dog’s perspective. His point of view drives the novel. As a reader I experience the strong priority he puts on relationships, his frustrations at not being able to communicate the important information he knows, his fears, his fascination with scents, his joy of life. The novel would not be the same told by another perspective. I am so glad that I needed to find a "Q" book!

No comments: