Sunday, October 10, 2010

Humorous Interlude

I just finished a three novel humorous interlude between reading Hugo winning novels. Sometimes a woman can only take so much dystopian entertainment.

Two of the novels I read were fun mysteries by Betty Webb: The Anteater of Death and The Koala of Death. What’s not to love…cute critters, wacky characters, a well meaning but meddling mother, and even a few poignant moments. The bad part is that so far there are only two novels in the series. Is it time to sign Betty Webb up for the coffee of the month club yet?

The other novel in my break was They Walked Like Men written by Clifford D. Simak and published in 1962. This is not another touching Simak novel; this is wonderful silliness. In it aliens are slowly buying up the earth, one property at a time. Of course the only person who realizes it is an intrepid newspaper reporter. He saves the world with more cute critters.

All 500+ pages of Stand on Zanzibar is waiting for me by my reading lamp. So far, in the first 25 pages, I have found no cute critters and definitely no silliness. I don’t expect either.

No comments: