Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Some Changes in My Blogging (Personal Notes)

I have a passion for reading books. I have been known to walk three miles in sub-zero weather, cancel a dinner date, and spend my last few precious dollars all for a book. My personality is transformed when I talk about books. I became animated and focused. Books have given me purpose, a reason for getting up in the morning and for dealing with all the inanity I too often see in the world. Books have been my teachers, my inspiration, and my life-lines when times were rough. Reading the Hugo winning novels changed my life in many ways. As much as I love books, I need to focus more attention on my professional life.

This blog was originally intended to be my professional blog, where I shared bits of wisdom that I thought might help other people. Over the years, it has become more and more a blog about what I am reading. That is okay. Change is healthy. I enjoy sharing my passion for reading with other people. But, I no longer feel comfortable posting essays about change, learning, and similar topics in this blog. The demographics are different. The expectations of the readers are different. So, I am beginning a new blog. Who know how that will evolve over time? Right now it consists of a title and a subtitle.

I certainly am not giving up reading books and writing up my reactions in this blog. Based on the reading list that I have been creating while reading Robert Silverberg’s book of essays, there is a lot of science fiction out there calling for me to read it. Also, I certainly can’t stop reading the Pulitzer Prize winning novels, which I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with. On the other hand, I have read over 120 books so far this year, and I can’t continue that pace and make a living. My goal for the next year is to read a novel a week, more or less.

I love small, semi-structured change. Right now I am going through a far less subtle change in my life. Sidney Harris so wonderfully illustrated that type of change in a cartoon in which a scientist points to a gap in a formula that reads, “And then a miracle happens.” Who know how my blogging life will evolve? I like the structure it gives me and I enjoy sharing my ideas with other people.

No comments: