Monday, April 23, 2012

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detectives (Mystery Novel)

Buildings. Bricks. Bullies. Brothers. Orphans. Cars. Idols. Nails.

I confess, occasionally when I face a sticky interpersonal situation I ask myself, “What would Mma Ramotswe do?” Mma Ramotswe and the rest of the gang are back in The Limpopo Academy of Private Detectives, the thirteenth book in Alexander McCall Smith’s The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series. As usual, my complaint is that the book ended too soon.

Briefly, Mma Ramotswe meets her idol, Clovis Andersen, whose book is responsible for her becoming a private detective and helping hundreds of people. He even helps her solve a case that affects the orphanage. Fanwell, who was the unnamed mechanic in the earlier novels, is falsely accused of a crime. Mma Makutsi and her husband build their first home, but something suspicious is going on.

Alexander McCall Smith’s writing has a lot of heart. The novels offer us islands of compassion and caring in a world that is too often impersonal and sometimes downright nasty. As a fan, The Limpopo Academy of Private Detectives lived up to all my expectations.

No comments: