Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sunshine on Scotland Street (Novel)

For most of us a discussion about the things that really matter – the fundamental questions of how we are to live our lives and, just as important, how we are to make sense of the lives we live—is a rare event. We do think about such matters, but our contemplation of them tends to be sporadic and darting. And when it comes to talking about them with friends, embarrassment often prevents us from anything but the most superficial discussion.

The above quote from Sunshine on Scotland Street by Alexander McCall Smith sums up why I continue to read books in the 44 Scotland Street Series and Alexander McCall Smith’s two other major series, the Isabel Dalhousie Mysteries and The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Series. Alexander McCall Smith does dare to talk about “the things that really matter” but no one talks about. Alexander McCall Smith’s books were the ones I immediately thought about when Connie Willis said that books saved her life. These books continue to save me, and I don’t feel so alone in this world. That said, Sunshine on Scotland Street, the eighth book in the series, is also a lot of fun to read.

In Sunshine on Scotland Street a number of characters undergo life changing events. Angus and Domenica get married. Bruce meets his doppelganger. Yet, there is at least one character who chooses not to have their life changed too much. In addition, after a wee too much cheer, Mathew agrees to be filmed for a Danish documentary. And, both Bertie and Angus have some adventures. I’m sure I repeat myself every time I write up my reaction to an Alexander McCall Smith book. So few authors dare to talk about matters of the heart. I am grateful that AMS still does. At some point I know the series will end, but until that time I will continue to look forward to each book. I’ll close with another lovely quote from Sunshine on Scotland Street.

“Goodnight, my boy,” said the Cardinal. “And God bless.”
It was a kind thing to say to a dog, and a good thing. Because the least of us, the very least, has the same claim as any other to that love, divine and human, which makes our world, in all its turmoil and pain, easier to comprehend.

No comments: